November 08, 2007

What is whimsical?

From Wikitionary:

Whimsical - Given to whimsy; odd; peculiar; playful; light-hearted or amusing.

Whimsy - A whim, or quaint and fanciful idea.

Day 8 of the sewing challenge was to create something with whimsy. I knew it would be a challenge.

I tried.

I failed. My pencil/knitting needle case wasn't working and so it ended up in the to-be recycled fabric waste pail (garbage).

Clearly a design idea to develop. Or maybe not. Part of being a designer is recognizing your natural inclincations - focusing and developing certain aspects that make you unique. As a designer, I am not whimsical. Rather I am classic, sensible and romantic, hence Prairie Roses. I can follow trends, adopt certain colors, use popular trims, but all within my framework.

Sure, it is good to stretch one's legs. Try something new. Such an exercise is fun or interesting and may add a new skill or point of view. But it takes time and focus to do it.

I have little focus today. My ISP has been up and down all day making some things rather frustrating. Not to mention a temperamental car. And then there is the fact that I am falling behind on my Spring 2008 styles.

No, today is not a whimsical day.

1 comment:

  1. LOL Esther!!!

    I, too, have to admit defeat on certain sewing projects! Sometimes I think I can sew ANYTHING! But am sadly brought back to reality...

    ReplyDelete