December 30, 2007

Blizzards, 3-D Design, and light cubes

The blizzard forecast to hit north of us made an abrupt change of direction last night and hit us instead. We received about 6 inches of snow and had winds of about 35 MPH - some areas had gusts of 50MPH! Yikes! Luckily we didn't lose power. Our Sunday church services were canceled and we spent most of the day being lazy. As soon as the storm cleared the snow shovel brigade - some awesome neighbors - came out and helped everyone clear out their driveways. DH and some other men cleared the driveway of a woman recently widowed - plus the driveways of four other houses including mine. We feel lucky to live in a friendly town and neighborhood. It was actually amazing to see the snow plow go down our road so early in the morning. Of course, once the snow plow goes down the street, you have to re-shovel the end of the driveway or you can't get out.

The woman in the yellow jacket is a breast cancer survivor. She is an amazingly generous person and it is a small miracle she is healthy enough to be a part of the snow shovel brigade. So despite our usual Sunday services, it is awesome to see warm and generous people serving each other.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time in front of the computer today and ran across a newer offering from Google called SketchUp. I have yet to try my hand at OptiTex's 3-D CAD module - it is fairly priced, but still pricey. There is a free version of SketchUp available from google with a a people bonus pack. Even though the software seems to focus on architectural designs, I am wondering if it could be used for fashion? It wouldn't have the added bonus of creating flat patterns from digitally draped fabric like OptiTex, but perhaps it could be used in croquis and illustrations. I am not entirely sure that my system can handle the software. There are a few hardware/software requirements that I am sure I don't have. Has anyone else tried it? As soon as I can work out the technical details, I may give it a try...

Please forgive me for such a random post.... As part of my goal to improve my product images, I ran across a tutorial for an inexpensive lightbox. Guess what I will be working on this week?! The Strobist blog has some awesome tutorials, so I have lots of reading to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment