December 28, 2007

Improving Product Images

I am still working on hand grading my pants - an interminable, never ending chore. I was taking my time because I truly wanted to understand Handford's method. I have some more notes to pass along when I am finally finished with it. I am ready to move on to the next project! (And this from a person that actually likes grading, computerized grading that is).

One of my goals of the new year (and I have several business related goals) is to improve the quality of my product images. Lighting, models, backdrops, props, etc. I am slowly chipping away at each item, the first being lighting. For Christmas I received an inexpensive lighting kit with an umbrella. The addition of the one light source is already making a big difference. Eventually, I will buy a second light kit for balance. Below is a comparison with and without the light (just ignore the ugly background - the Loft is in need of a paint job).

The first picture is with the camera flash only. I turn the flash off about 95% of the time - the image always comes out over exposed. I don't know if it is my camera or flashes in general that cause this problem.
















This picture is taken with the light available in the room. Not too bad but you can see some funky shadows in the background. The colors seem a bit dull.

















This picture has the new lighting off to the right. The shadows are softer and the colors are more vibrant. I am excited about how well lighted the dress appears.

I have been taking lots of practice shots with the light. It has been a lot of fun! I am still working on the best placement for the light and a new backdrop... look forward to seeing better images soon.

3 comments:

  1. Esther...

    Congrats on the new lights. If you are doing indoor photography, may I suggest you get a copy of Carrie's (emersonsmom@comcast.com) studio photography ebook? For $50, you'll have all the instructions and tips you need to take awesome indoor pics of clothing. Take my word on this...you'll thank me.

    Carrie is a dear friend of mine and a successful child photographer. Check out her website at http://emaphotography.com

    Hope you had a great holiday!

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. lighting is so tricky! my number one suggestion would be to meter off of a gray card. you can get them at any photo shop for under $5 and it will make a HUGE difference. Once you get the hang of lighting it's a whole new world for the photographing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm.... I have so much to learn. I don't know a thing about light meters - I'll see if I can find one.

    Just to pass along another tip I found today. A tutorial for an inexpensive light box. (Guess what was just added to my to do list :-) )

    ReplyDelete