March 12, 2008

Sophy Dress pt. 3

Have you seen the movie Anne of Green Gables? I think I have seen it about a million times. Love that movie, and really, it has nothing to do with having red hair. ;-) Anyway, my sleeve crisis reminded me of a scene from that movie. The scene is Anne and Diana preparing for their first grown-up party. All of the finest ladies would be dressed in gowns with "puffed" sleeves and Anne desperately wanted that kind of dress. Eventually Matthew goes and buys the coveted dress and Anne is able to wear a dress with "puffed" sleeves. Historically, that style of sleeve is called leg o'mutton because the sleeves were literally that large. They were so big that it was a wonder the ladies didn't run into doors while passing through.

What does this have to do with my Sophy dress? I succumbed to my own weakness to challenge myself. The dress now has short sleeves. What can I say? The Juliet sleeve is still pretty and it will probably show up again, just not on this dress. I would rather the dress be viewed as a whole. I don't want someone to say, "Wow! Check out those sleeves!" and not see the dress.


Add a pretty sash and matching bloomers and I think the dress is really coming out lovely. You'll have to wait until the dress is available in the store to get a full shot. I am now working on some other coordinating pieces. This dress will be available in size 4-6x, so I am also working on those patterns. I really should be much further along by now....

No comments:

Post a Comment