June 25, 2008

What's going on at the Design Loft?

The month long summer reading program at the library is now finished. Phew! We had 150 kids yesterday alone! The program normally takes place outside and we experienced just about every type of weather, rain, cold, snow, wind, and this week heat. Yesterday's guest speaker was a local beekeeper and it was very interesting! I had always assumed beekeepers just managed bees locally. This beekeeper keeps beehives within a 60 mile radius, moving hives to whatever flowers next. He takes his hives to farms as far away as California. Who knew?!

The scariest moment of the event was a little girl with a clenched fist who came up to me.

"Wanna see what I have?"

"Um, ok. What do you have?"

Little girl unclenches her fist and shows me a near dead bee.

"I have a bee."

"Um, yes you do. Better keep your fingers over him tight or he might fly away." (I learned only girl bees have stingers, hmmm).

My eyes were popping out of my head as I tried to decide to run in the opposite direction while staying as calm as possible.

I am not allergic to bees, at least I don't think so. I certainly don't want to find out. I had a run in with a wasp's nest several years ago and let's say that wasn't pretty. Who knows how I would react to bees. The bees can do their work in my garden and I will do mine. I give them their space and they give me mine. It is a mutual kind of respect.

BTW, the garden is finally all in. The tomatoes are not happy. Oh well. What can I say when you go from snow to 80 degree weather in a little over a week.

In the Design Loft, I have been making these ribbon flower pins in purple, red, and pink. They will be available in the store as soon as I finish up the pictures.


Unfortunately, this is about all that I got done in the Loft. So many things on my to-do list, it's not even funny.

1 comment:

  1. Audrey11:19 AM

    Whoo! You sure do have a lot going on...kids, bees, gardens! Good luck with tackling 'the list'. :)

    ReplyDelete