December 10, 2008

A pretty Idaho sunset


I took this picture about a month ago as a storm rolled in during sunset. This picture is sooc, if you can believe it. It's rather symbolic too. The Prairie Roses Store is officially closed as of December 7th, 2008. The store is not even online anymore. The etsy store is still open, but will probably be closed out in the next couple of weeks. My heart is just not in it anymore.

The main reason is the CPSIA. It appears we are experiencing the The Death of Common Sense. And while I have joined the fight to enact some kind of reform of the reform, I am left wondering if there is any point. The regulations that existed prior to this fiasco were working, otherwise there wouldn't have been so many recalls last year. Since it is unlikely that the CPSIA will be wadded up and thrown in the trash, the resulting mess will still be too complex, too expensive, and too difficult for new design entrepreneurs and small business. And as the book by Phillip K. Howard describes, this kind of legislation brings out the interests of many diverse and competing parties. Some see the confusion as an opportunity to benefit financially at the expense of others by misdirecting them. Others see this as an opportunity to pressure congress to exempt or help their particular interests. I guess my fight is no different because I have joined a special interest group in fighting for change. But is the answer more regulation?

But I can't help thinking it is all rather pointless. Even if we win, so do the special interests. Manufacturing will still be over regulated. The CPSC will still have too much power. Children will still be no safer than they were 1 year ago or 5 years ago or 10 years. The only difference is that manufacturers will now be working under a presumption of guilt instead of innocence. The guilt that they care more about the bottom line than safety. It's not true, of course, but the damage has been done. We have thrown out common sense and the rule of law in the attempt to protect children. The CPSIA was born out of emotionalism and the political expendiency of an election year. The unintended consquences will be felt for many, many years.

Regardless of what happens in the next year and regardless of the rules that finally come down, we as a country have killed common sense. If problems or recalls occur in the future, a manufacturer will now face the likelihood of heavy fines, jail time, lawsuits, and loss of public trust. The manufacturer will try to dodge liability by saying they have their certificate of conformity and that it has been tested in a certified, government approved laboratory. Will it make a difference? Does it provide the layer of safety and protection that is needed? I have my doubts because these rules and regulations provide an opportunity for us to ignore common sense.

I know this sounds rather defeatist. I guess I am discouraged. I am mourning. In any event I probably will not be blogging much more on the CPSIA until it's all decided. It's killing my spirit. I am withdrawing my intense support of the fight for the change of the CPSIA. I am not giving up all together. I will still write my congressman and maybe post a comment or two in various forums. But for my own sanity, I must take this position. You must understand that I am a right-wing conservative, so right-wing I am almost a libertarian. This kind of legislation is exactly the kind of thing I never wanted in the first place. So I will fight this thing in my own way from the lens of my own point of view.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled blogging.

6 comments:

  1. I am taking a break too. I'm going to enjoy the Christmas season (no more consistant worry over this). Right now I just need a break from it, and I haven't done nearly as much as you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your information and alerts. The CEO of EDC did respond to me acknowledging the information. To what end we have yet to know. At least he's got the hot button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 years ago, my dear friend Gram Ruth would say, "common sense is not so common". It applied then and it applies even more now.

    My heart is really breaking. Not only for myself but for the 100's of women I know who have put their heart and souls into their design, building their brand, working late into the night, working without a pay check to see their dreams come true. While I believe that eventually we all will find a new way to express our desires for creating, it is a painful and sad day that these type of laws, which do nothing to protect anyone, exist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart and mind are with you. I too am wondering whether I can make a go of it when my creativity will be so stifled. Will it be fun anymore when I can't just go to my stash of trims and pick whatever I want, and have to go with what has been "tested." Thanks for fighting, and I hope we can all plead to Congress for common sense.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Esther;

    The dresses we got from you for my niece are beautiful. It's terrible that this has forced your hand. I wish you would put Prairie Roses back up so that we could at least link to it as something that will no longer be available. People forget what was or what would have been when all they have is what is. The HTA will lose its emotional appeal after Christmas, and we need an emotional symbol for this campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so left-wing that I come back around to Libertarianism full circle. I understand, and sympathize.

    (hug)

    ReplyDelete