March 02, 2009

Bookmaking pt. 1


Book making is a slow process. Maybe that is why I like it. I have always liked the process. Thought goes into the process as much as technique. It allows me time to meditate. Now it is not time consuming because of the amount of time it takes. The truth is that most of the steps do not take that much time. This first step took all of five minutes, but now I have to wait. Book making is all about gluing up and letting things dry.

In this picture I am upcycling a chipboard cracker box (and this is a big cracker box from Costco). I wanted my "book" to have stiffer covers so I am doubling up the thickness. Since I have only so much money to put into a new hobby, I started looking at readily available materials to help me get my book making legs back. Maybe in the future I will by some book binding board (aka Davey board) and ready to go book cloth. But maybe not. I like the idea of upcycling materials... Anyway, an old shelf and my bricks help weigh down the chipboard so it won't curl. Once I can get to town, I will be stopping at ye olde Home Depot to get some larger pieces of wood for a proper press.

Tomorrow I intend on prepping the fabric for the cover using a technique that I have never used before...

BTW, I am looking for book making related blogs and related. If you know of any, please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. I like bookbinding so much because you get to be as creative or classic, detailed and careful as you want to be. At whose "bench" (that is a good term!) did you get to learn this rewarding craft? I have two favorite teachers. They both were associated with the SMU Bridwell libraries (in special collections) for a time. One of them now works with the country's top conservators in North Carolina. (She also has that Master of Library Science that you blogged about) and was trained at the Iowa University in Bookbinding and Restorationand at the bench of bookbinders in Boston. I love the diversity in the field and how there is so many interesting and historical details that can be learned.

    Thanks for visiting my blog,

    Javamom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was trained by James Fairbourn of Brigham Young University in Provo, UT. I was able to meet renowned conservator, Robert Espinoza (BYU) and work with Chris McAfee now with LDS Church Archives. All extremely talented and knowledgeable bookbinders and conservators. It was an awesome opportunity for a college student!

    ReplyDelete