March 04, 2011

A jump start on a handmade Christmas

I know it is March, but in the spirit of re-purposing an old project, I decided to get a jumpstart on my annual handmade giving for the year. Several years ago I hired someone to machine quilt some whole cloth baby quilts. After waiting a really long time, the resulting quality was not good enough to sell at the premium price I would need to make a profit. The stitching was very poor with skipped stitches, broken threads, knots - just a mess. It would take too much time to rip all that out and yet I couldn't throw them away. So they have languished in a closet until now. The quilts are perfect hot pads. The hotpads are two layers of  8 inch squares. The binding is 2.25" strips stitched on with a multi-stitch zig-zag. Easy, easy, easy.



I think I have about 15 hot pads just in the bamboo/purple colorway. I still have a red/blue color combo and a white/white combo. I am not sure what to do with the white/white combo. Any ideas of what to do with a white/white quilted fabric?

2 comments:

  1. White/white quilted fabric could make some pretty ornaments. :) Love the hot pads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:56 AM

    Quilted bags or totes? Maybe knitting needle cases, or bags that hold a small knitting project, like socks with room for a ball or two of yarn and the needles?

    ReplyDelete