May 17, 2011

Being prepared

Twice a year I try to pull out our 72 hour kits to refresh and update them. Unfortunately I've been a slacker the last couple of years. With all the disasters recently, a good 72 hour kit is essential. I found a great list of items for a 72 hour kit that I'm working through. I'm also rethinking my organization. Should all the sanitation items be in one area or distributed among the packs? First aid items in a first aid kit or distributed? It seems like this is the kind of thing you won't know until the time.


Some things which I found to be expired:

1. Water purification tablets.
2. Hand sanitizer wipes.
3. Hand warmers --> This was a surprice

Things I'm not sure about:

1. Shelf life of cocoa and apple cider mixes
2. Shelf life of MRE's.

One thing I'm not sure how to handle is gluten-free foods. Many gluten free foods have a short shelf life. Many food storage type foods are not gluten free. In a real disaster I will have to depend on others supplying food at some point.

Anyway, updates to come as I work through some of these problems and the list at the above linked site.

No comments:

Post a Comment