November 02, 2011

Blouse sewing followup pt. 1

I wanted to test out another collar pattern iteration because my last neckline/collar was too small. The previous bodice pattern was also too boxy. I've worn that first blouse a few times now, but always under a cardigan or sweater. So I traced off another Burda pattern and applied my usual fixes. I reworked the collar to be bigger, also changing to 1/2" seam allowances at the neck.

I whipped out a blouse in a few hours a week ago. The increase in seam allowance at the neck to 1/2" made a huge difference. It is counterintuitive to learn that a wider seam allowance produces less bulk. The overall fit is good and much more flattering. I think there are some further refinements that I can make to the collar, but first I'm going to rip apart the RTW collar for further study.

I'll take a picture of the blouse at some point but I'm currently obsessing about sleeves. I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the sleeve shaping or fit, so I'm reworking that. I'll probably rip the current sleeve out and replace it. So more about that later.

In the mean time, I'm pretty happy with most of the patterns at this point. I'll be transferring these patterns to oak tag so I can preserve them.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting about the 1/2" seam allowance. I know you mentioned it before. It really does seem counterintuitive. I need to keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete