December 07, 2011

My February Lady Sweater pt. 7

It's finished. Sort of. I cast off the bottom for the second time this week.


There were a couple of things I did that came from EZ's original pattern. She did a row of decreases right before the bottom band is knitted on. That helped reduce the tendency of the lace to stretch. Also, she cast off in pearl stitch and it does looks so much nicer than the cast off in knit that I did on the sleeves.

But, I may be crazy.

I'm ripping out the sweater all the way back to the yoke. Even though I tried the sweater on as I went along, the sweater is huge on me. Even accounting for some positive ease to accommodate wearing the sweater over something else, the width at the base of the armholes is at least 6 inches more than I need pre-blocking. The width at the base of the yoke is about where I should have ended my increases for the raglan length. I think I had already reduced the raglan length once before. Anyway, I need to go back to the Custom fit raglan sweater charts and see where I need to make some adjustments. I'm not entirely happy with the sleeves either.
It shouldn't take as long to reknit because I'll be reducing the overall circumference. It will give me some extra yarn to increase the overall length and possibly lengthen the sleeves. I also wanted to do some kind of finishing on the neckline, which is not possible now as I have just a small ball of yarn left.

Also, all this back and forth will help me create a basic set of measurements to use for future knitting patterns.

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful, but I totally understand your desire to get the fit right.

    I give you a lot of credit for your willingness to rip, recalculate, and re-knit. (Are those the knitter's 3 R's?) Knitters and non-knitters alike don't understand when I do this, but that's okay. We need to be pleased with our projects, or there just isn't any point.

    ReplyDelete