October 30, 2012

The blouse revisted pt. 2


Somehow I managed to cross off the last item on my summer to-do list and now I've been pacing back and forth trying to figure out what to do with my time. It's not like I don't have things to do and haven't been doing things. But for some reason, I've been avoiding it. I went out of town for three days for important library training, which was very interesting and fun to catch up with library friends. I've been working on a secret project which requires a great deal of mental energy.* Over the last few days I've worried about my friends on the East Coast, especially the Domestic Diva.

Here is the blouse all sewn up. Unfortunately it suffers from poor print placement due to my inattentiveness when cutting. No big deal because this was just another test. In reality it will probably be worn underneath a cardigan. The blouse fits well and is comfortable. The puff sleeves need some minor reductions in fullness but otherwise worked out well. I'm trying to ignore the wrinkles I see in the picture because there is a tendency among us sewing types to overfit.

Anyway, these are the things I learned this go around.

1. Even though I've been critical of some** home sewing methods, I still have to use them because I don't have my own factory (yet) with all industrial equipment. I did pull out a needle and thread to help clean up the ends of the collar band. I think I need to either reduce the SPI or back tack more during collar construction.

2. Accuracy and precision are critical during collar construction. Since I don't have muscle memory in my hands for it, I did have to rip out and redo parts of the collar band. Though it did go together rather well, all things considered.

3. Doh! Buttonhole placement on the collar band. Should have checked that before stitching and slashing that open.

4. I think I need a lighter weight interfacing for the collar band? Still thinking on this.

Up next is to redo my patterns in tag board for future use.

*I promise I will reveal my secret project when I get closer to finishing it.

** The home sewing methods that drive me the most bonkers are 5/8" seam allowances, grading, trimming, and clipping curves. But I understand why those things exist in the home sewing world.

1 comment:

  1. We certainly wouldn't know you put in some hand stitches if you hadn't told us. The view from here looks like a perfectly good collar and band!

    You are right about overfitting. We hobbyists sometimes want to eliminate all wrinkles when we are standing perfectly still and at attention. Then we also expect freedom of movement and a whole host of other things. I am trying to wean myself off this way of thinking.

    Looking forward to hearing about your secret project. :-)

    ReplyDelete