February 25, 2014

Spinning Earthen Hues pt. 3

I don't know about you, but I've been busy the last few weeks. I restarted work on my book about grading, another long term project of epic proportions. So between work and two big projects, I've been fairly busy. I've begun the layout on the grading book which is a huge giant step forward. At the same time I am reviewing my writing and making sure it is all well documented. I've found a few areas where I need to do a bit more research and I've sent off for copies from research journals. Measurement studies and readings on grading and anthropometric studies are all pretty dry stuff, but essential for the book.

I've also been reworking the icons for SodaCAD. Apparently there is no easy way to manage icons in most graphic libraries. The folks at Inkscape have worked out something but it's over my head. So, that means going in and manually replacing or reworking each icon individually. In some cases, the icons are hardcoded and that requires hunting through code to find them. It's another tedious job, but I believe well worth it in the long run.

All this means that more fun projects are progressing much more slowly. Pictured above is a spinning project that I finished up back in November. The goal was to ply the yarn so that the colors mostly stayed together. I was mostly successful but there are large sections in which the colors barber pole. I'm pleased with the yarn. I'm going to let it rest until I find just the right project for it.

Project stats:
50% merino, 25% bamboo, 25% silk
from Greenwood Fiber Works
2 ply, 648 yards
14 WPI
Fingering weight

No comments:

Post a Comment