May 28, 2015

Blog Hop - Four Questions and Answers

I was nominated by Olgalyn of the O! Jolly! Crafting Fashion blog to participate in a Four Questions and Answers blog hop. It was nice to get to know Olgalyn. She has a very stylish blog and does lots of interesting projects, so be sure to check out her blog.

1. Why do I write?

I started this blog in 2006. At that time, blogging was the new internet thing. People were getting published and making a name for themselves with blogging. I guess people still do. I am a pattern maker and technical designer and I wanted to share what I had learned over the years working in the fashion industry. I hope that my writing has helped others -- it has certainly helped me. Writing has helped me work through some difficult topics and ideas in pattern making. Doing so helps me understand those topics more deeply. One of my college teachers gave the class an assignment to write sewing instructions for someone else. It was extraordinarily difficult and blogging has enabled me to improve in that area. I try really hard to lighten otherwise dull subjects and bring them down to earth. I also like to share fun projects that I am currently working on so that the blog is not always weighed down with such heavy writing.

I also write a reading blog. This is just a place for me to keep track of what I'm reading.

2. What am I working on?

So.many.projects. Seriously, I try to be monogamous in my non-work, hobby related projects because I just haven't had the mental or physical energy of late to do too much. It doesn't always work. I set a goal to make a quilt this year. I was finally able to start it this month. The fabrics came from Blackpearl Designs (unfortunately these prints are no longer available) and have been sitting in my stash for quite a while. The quilt idea has been percolating for at least a year.
I'm also spindle spinning some local fiber (pictures to come later).


I have two big long-term projects. I've been writing a book on the sizing and grading of children's apparel. It is over half done, but I had to put it on the back burner earlier this year because I started working as a pattern maker again. Things have slowed down a bit again and I hope to pick it up again this year. I'm also working on a software project, but I've also not made progress due to work-related priorities. I am determined to finish both projects eventually.

3. How does my blog differ from others in its genre?

I tend to write about technical topics in the fashion industry, primarily on grading and pattern making. My most popular blog entries are neck circumferences for infants, tutorial on how to remove/reduce sleeve cap ease, and how to sew set-in sleeves. So my blog is not very fashionable or fashion oriented even though I still talk about it.

4. How does my writing process work?

In the past, I would be inspired by a topic or a current project and just immediately sit down and write. There was little planning or photo taking. It took until this year for me to sit down and create a publishing schedule and calendar with self-imposed deadlines. I did pretty well with it until February when I took on some new pattern making work and I couldn't keep up with it. I take more time with my writing, so I try to write when I have time and schedule the posts to appear more regularly. The goal is to publish twice a week, though it still varies due to my work schedule. I keep track of my blog ideas in my bullet journal.


It's at this point that I'm supposed to nominate other bloggers. I must confess I'm drawing a blank, so blame me if the blog hop chain runs dry. I would appreciate some suggestions in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment