July 26, 2007

Toddler Sweater Update


I started this sweater project over a year ago and it is still not finished. I finally blocked the pieces -- I doubt it was helpful when the sweater is made of synthetic yarn. One thing I noticed during the blocking process is how different the pieces looked from regular toddler patterns. There are several things I noticed that made me wonder...

Knitted sweater frontThe front piece has a t-shirt, boxy shape. The shoulder length looks too narrow and the front neck drop and width too big. I need to take measurements to see what toddler size this compares too.









Knitted sweater backThe back piece has no curve on the back neck. It is straight. I imagine a back neck curve is difficult to achieve in a knitted sweater. I wonder if this is typical in knitted garments? I don't knit enough sweaters to know. It could account for why the front neck is so big.








Knitted sleeve patternThe sleeve shaping seems fine, although they do bow out on the sides.











I have read books on knitwear design. One of these days I will draft my own basic knitwear design and try to knit up a sweater. In any event, all that's left on this sweater is to sew the pieces together and knit the neckband. I still haven't decided on the embellishment. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:58 PM

    I knit and sew, and I've noticed that most flat-knit adult sweater patterns are drafted to include a back neckline curve. I'm thinking that perhaps the toddler sweater pattern was poorly drafted, with a lower front neckline to compensate for the lack of back neck curve.
    The back neck curve would be easy to add; it's just a matter of binding off a number of stitches at center-back (in stages, to get a nice curve) once you reach the desired rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:12 PM

    The shoulder length looks fine to me; because that jumper has to pull over the child's head, the hole for the neck - which affects the shoulder width - can look odd until you get used to it. Babies don't like things to fit snugly around their necks, either.

    I wouldn't worry about the back neckline curve, either; babies don't have an 'erect' posture, so a straight line across there works fine. You can do similar but flattened shaping to the front; but on a garment that small, I probably wouldn't worry.

    My only concern is the armhole looks a tiny bit deep, but it should still fit ok.

    Looks fine!

    ReplyDelete