November 07, 2007

Americana Apron from a 1950's sewing pattern

Ok, this is day 7 of the Sew, Mama, Sew challenge of 30 gifts in 30 days. Here is my entry that was supposed to be for day 1. Of course, I made two, because I was in desperate need of a new one. DH used our only apron to carve some elk - let's just say it's not too pretty anymore. From here on out, I am only doing one of each item on the list that I can manage to accomplish.

1950's apronI chose a pattern I had made as a teenager - it came from an old high school Home Ec manual of the 1950s. I loved this pattern as a teenager, but what I failed to realize is that I (ahem) am not a teenager anymore. The original pattern has a cute bib with ties. I am thinking my younger, shorter sister, aka Twiggy, should be able to wear this with no problem. She recently has expressed an interest in cooking, so I will tuck a couple of my favorite go-to recipes in the pocket.

I know that I said most of my gifts would be made from scraps. Well, I purchased this fabric from the thrift store for about $2 and it has been collecting dust in my stash for at least 5 years. I think it counts - plus, this fabric may show up in other scrappy projects.

1950's apron without the bibI left the bib off of my apron, which works just fine. DH says it makes me look like a 1950s housewife. Not sure what to say about that..... Anyhoo, both aprons are trimmed with some left over ribbon along the hem and pocket. And yes, I am wearing socks with my shoes because the mountains are chilly this time of year.....








Homemaking for teenagersHere is the book that I acquired as a teenager. I still love it. I wish modern Home Ec books were so practical about making a home as this one.

Up next on the list for Nov 8th is "Whimsy". I have no idea what I will come up with. I may browse some books at the library for ideas. Whimsical is something I am not so this may be a good design exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment