July 15, 2010

Potato Sack Dress

I know it's been a while since my last post. I have been bogged down with some home reno projects and yard work. The basement tile job is essentially done but now I have decided I need to repaint. Isn't that always how it works? Anyway, I am taking a brief respite from my usual summer work to share a few pictures of a potato sack dress.

The story is that high school freshman girls had to wear a potato sack dress for a full day as part of their initiation in the 1950's. In Spudville, could you expect anything else? One girl felt sorry for a freshman and sewed ruffles on one of the dresses to pretty it up.



The tradition has long since disappeared as potatoes are now packed in paper sacks. Some local resident donated this to the town museum along with a picture of the girls in the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment