January 15, 2014

Knitting: Myrtle Cardigan pt. 4 - the sleeves

I started knitting the sleeves a couple of weeks ago. The instructions for the sleeves, like the body, are dependent on the size. This makes sense because the lace pattern needs to be adapted for each size in order to work. The sleeves continue the all over lace pattern in order to seamlessly blend with the body. I had to read the instructions several times before I completely understood what was supposed to happen.

I am knitting the medium size. I followed the instructions exactly (I think) and this is what I ended up with.

For the medium size the pattern is written so that the lace pattern is repeated except for the underarm area. In this area you maintain stockinette stitches until the sleeve increases are completed. Then you start chart F for the length of the sleeve. I knew that if I saw this every time I wore it, it would drive me crazy. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but this does not seem right.

There is a sleeve increase chart, but it is not used for the medium size. I debated ripping out what I had done and restarting with the sleeve increase chart, but I wasn't sure I really wanted an all lace sleeve. Instead I decided to center just one repeat of the lace down the center of the sleeve and do the rest in stockinette. I think it might work better with the sleeve cap decreases.

No comments:

Post a Comment