January 23, 2014

Shoulder slope pattern correction

LisaB asked me to explain:

Raise the shoulder at the neckpoint 3/8" on front bodice to correct shoulder slope problem. I need to apply this correction to my t-shirt pattern too.
I tried my first cardigan sample on several times and noticed the shoulder seam was not pointing in the right direction. The seam at the neck point was pointing toward the front rather than laying right on top of my shoulder. I also looked at my t-shirt pattern and observed the same problem. This indicates a possible shoulder slope problem or shoulder to hem length problem on either the front or the back bodice or both. To figure this out, I ran a basting thread in my cardigan shoulder seam area and looked in the mirror to see where I needed to make the adjustment (no fitting buddy or dressform at my house, unfortunately). I also pulled out my blouse pattern and compared the shoulder seam. In the end, I needed to move the shoulder up at the neckpoint 3/8" on the front bodice. This increased the shoulder to hem length on the front just enough to allow the back bodice to relax backward and position the shoulder seam right on top of the shoulder.

Raising the shoulder point at the neck 3/8"

Not everyone will need to make this adjustment. This was a problem inherent in my own patterns to fit me. The drawing below, I hope more clearly shows how the shoulder seam was laying.
View of the correct shoulder point on the body

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Esther. Now I know how you meant "raise". It makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a noob at pattern drafting and sewind, I have the same issue with my bodice block I just drafted or retail clothes. I have 2 fitting book they show and explain the different shoulder fitting issues why it occurs and how to alter but nothing regarding a shoulder seam too forward from the neck to the front. Only one vintage book had a picture of this labelled "large bust" without explaination

    ReplyDelete