February 03, 2015

Bullet journal follow-up

Pocket size bullet journal

On December 1st I started bullet journaling. I started with this pocket size journal because this is what I had on hand. I like the size because it does fit in my purse, but it is almost too small. I feel cramped when writing in the journal. I have acquired two new hardcover journals in just a bit larger size, so perhaps a follow-up is in order when I transition over. In the meantime, I'll use up this one.

I made the mistake of not leaving enough space for my index. I probably should have left 2-3 pages in the front of the journal for the index. Others have mentioned that it is hard to do forward planning in a bullet journal. It can be. I will often write the date for a future event in my daily task list as a note. As I review the past month when setting up the next, that note carries forward or is placed on the new month's calendar. Others have figured out ways of creating a spread with monthly calendars, but this journal is too small for that. Another difficulty is finding the monthly calendars. You can look at the index, but a long index takes time to look through. So I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased some washi tape. Just a little bit of washi tape on the edge of the paper for the month spread makes it easy to find it again. This one roll of tape should last a really long time. I found some inexpensive rolls at Walmart, but Amazon has some pretty tapes too (below).

Pocket size bullet journal

I've learned that a really good pen makes a big difference. I'm loving the Pilot G-2 pens. They write super smooth and have nice dark ink. I never realized how much harder regular ballpoint pens were to use. They require more pressure to write and the ink is just not that dark. The pens do last a long time but I find that I can never find one when I need it. You'll want several to stash all over the house.

I spend a little time at the beginning and end of each day to write and review my many tasks. I am using this journal to keep track of tasks for my two part-time jobs, my small business, and personal tasks. I imagine if one of my jobs became much more involved, I would add a separate journal. For now I only have one journal to keep track of.

This style of journal is great because I really do use it as a mini-brain dump. Any sticky notes that get handed to me are immediately copied into my journal so I don't lose the information. Who hasn't lost a sticky note that became unstuck and floated away? Ideas that float around in my head are written down. I don't have to exert energy in the effort to try and remember something.

I'm staying more on task. Tasks are carried forward until done or until they become irrelevant. That "to-read" list has finally been collected and I'll know what books to get next. That project that I've wanted to start, now has a place to go. It really has helped reduce my stress. If you haven't tried bullet journaling, give it a look. It may work for you too.

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for rewriting about the bullet journal. I was wracking my brain just the other day trying to recall what it was called or where I saw it, and here it is, such a great idea. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete