June 08, 2015

Hawaiian quilt pt. 1

Quilt design plan

I started a quilt. The idea for this quilt has been floating around my head for a few years. I had some Hawaiian printed cottons left over from other projects and I wanted to use them in a modern style quilt. I have only three colors to work with, purple, green, and white. I had a hard time visualizing the overall look of the quilt, so I drew up a version using Inkscape*. I could have taken this a step further and scanned the fabric into the drawing, but this was close enough. I still have not decided on the final borders. It partially depends on how much of each color I have left after piecing the blocks. I'm fairly certain I will not be using green on the outside border. I may go for white instead with green bias binding.

Cut Quilt block pieces

Here are the actual fabrics, cut and ready to go.

 

The pattern came from Fat Quarter Fun by Karen Snyder and is called Summer Fun. I really liked this quilting book. Most of the patterns are simple, using primarily fat quarters for the tops. This particular quilt is a bit small, IMO, so I've added some additional blocks to bump it up to a full size. I'm also using yardage instead of fat quarters. Because of that, I think I should have cut and sewn things a little bit differently. More on that later. I'm excited to finally have started this project.

*Inkscape has some nifty drawing tools, including cloning. I did not use that feature here, but it would have been a perfect opportunity to use it.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I came from the Green Chair Press blog, which has a link to yours. I had never heard about Inkscape, but I am right now downloading it. Thank you for the lead. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt, it will be beautiful. I will check the rest of your blog now. Best,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed a great choice of color combination, your hard work pays off, no doubt. I wonder how did it go, I would love to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete