It is true that a designer can be inspired by a piece of artwork, a fabric print, color, etc. But unless one designs with a plan, or end goal, it will only be an exercise in design for design's sake. A design plan should follow some basic steps and answer basic questions:
- Review the past line.
- What sold best/worst?
- Customer comments
- Review past goals and set new ones.
- Did you meet sales expectations?
- What are my sales goals for this season?
- How is my budget?
- Set design budget for the next season.
- Shop the market between seasons.
- What are my competitors selling?
- What are their price points?
- Do I hang with them?
- Shop for fabric/trims. (this is where I find my "inspiration".
- Does the fabric express the brand?
- Does it fit within the price point for raw materials?
- Determine number of styles/pieces.
- Can any styles be carried over in new color/print?
Anyhoo, I guess I need to follow my own advice. This is as far as I have gotten: